Contact: On-site: Bill Hensel, 404-680-3959 or 404-368-9165
Mitch Leff, 404-861-4769, email@example.com
Atlanta-based Invesco Employees Volunteer for Three Causes on Sept. 11, National Day of Service and Remembrance
Employees to Improve a Local Playground, Make Food for the Homeless, Collect Cellphones for Military
On Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012, employees at Invesco’s Atlanta’s office will commemorate the 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance by giving back to the city they call home.
Seventy-five percent of Invesco’s nearly 400 employees are expected to take part in employee-organized efforts, including feeding the hungry, collecting used cell phones for members of our military and erecting a swing set in a local park.
In 2009, Congress designated September 11th as a National Day of Service and Remembrance to commemorate the 9/11 victims and survivors, and to honor those who rose up in service in response to the attacks. It has become one of the nation’s largest days of charitable service.
Invesco, Ltd, an independent investment firm headquartered in Atlanta, is committed to responsible corporate citizenship and encourages its employees to play active roles in the growth and development of their communities.
Visuals and Interview Opportunities: Where & When
1) Cell Phones for Soldiers
Invesco has set up collection points in their office to collect used cell phones for the “Cell Phones for Soldiers” project. The program works to keep military families connected by providing free calling cards to U.S. military overseas through the recycling of used mobile phones. Each recycled phone provides troops with about 2.5 hours of talk time.
• When: Tuesday, Sept. 11, 11 a.m. – Mass donation of 200 cellphones from Invesco corporate staff.
• Where: Invesco, Two Peachtree Pointe, 1555 Peachtree Rd., NE, Suite 1800.
2) Playground Upgrade at Atlanta Memorial Park, 650 Wesley Dr. NW, Atlanta, GA 30305 (onsite contact: John Ahern, 404-723-3112 (cell))
Invesco staff will be at Atlanta Memorial Park to help make its playground a safe and fun place to play. In addition to building benches and clearing invasive plants, the volunteers plan will erect a new swing set for the neighborhood’s kids.
• When: Tuesday, September 11, 1 - 4 pm
3) Feeding The Hungry at Crossroads Community Ministries
Employees will assemble more than 2,000 sandwiches to feed Atlanta’s homeless through Crossroads Community Ministries.
• When: Tuesday, Sept. 11, 8:30 a.m. – Sandwich Delivery. Crossroads Ministries, 435 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta
Invesco’s Charitable Partners:
• Park Pride: Nonprofit working with communities all over Atlanta to improve their parks
• Crossroads Community Ministries: Assists over 4,600 homeless men, women and children in metro Atlanta.
• Cell Phones for Soldiers: Since its inception in 2004, Cell Phones for Soldiers has worked to keep military families connected by providing FREE communication tools to those serving overseas in the U.S. military.