(Sheridan, Wyo.) — This week marks the 86th annual Sheridan WYO Rodeo — and locals know the telltale signs of the exciting week, even without the festive "Let's Get WYO'd" banners hanging all along Main Street.
1) Start looking, and you'll spot rumbling, muddy pickups all over town. Some might even sport the Sheridan WYO Rodeo logo on their doors — lore has it that the logos are magnetic and come out only in July.
2) Half the town heads downtown for the street dances starting Friday night — the other half heads for the hills. Will you be at The Mint or Sibley Lake this weekend?
3) You can hear the PRCA Rodeo — and smell the animals — from Highland Avenue to Mydland Road, long before the events officially begin Wednesday night.
4) Every hipster in town will be wearing Wranglers, stiff new boots and a cowboy hat, even when they are usually found outside a local coffee shop in skinny jeans and wide-rimmed black glasses.
5) Chairs start lining the streets well before the events begin downtown Friday morning. We've seen them out Thursday, but wouldn't be surprised to see them even earlier.
What is your favorite Sheridan WYO Rodeo tradition?