Aureus Medical shares travel nursing news: Where the flu is hitting the hardest in the U.S.

Omaha, NE (January 18, 2016) - With every winter comes the inevitable: flu season. While the season can run from October to May, the flu is usually quite prevalent from December until February. However, the flu seasons are unpredictable, with some more severe than others.

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, typically 5 to 20 percent of Americans get the flu each year. Out of those affected, nearly 200,000 people have to go to the hospital and seek medical attention for seasonal flu complications. Unfortunately, severe cases of the flu may lead to death. In fact, from 1975 to 2006, the CDC estimated that there were anywhere from 3,000 to 49,000 deaths caused by the flu.

Because of this, it is important as a travel nurse to stay on top of seasonal flu trends and educate your patients to ensure everyone is protecting himself or herself from the virus as much as possible.

Here is a breakdown of this year's seasonal flu status.

Distribution of influenza
Each week the CDC releases a surveillance report reflecting the state of the flu. Between Dec. 20 and 26, 2015, the flu became more prevalent compared to previous weeks. Influenza A, specifically H1N1, was the most dominant influenza virus reported that week out of all strains of the virus.

The prevalence of influenza A in week 51 parallels the cumulative flu data since Oct. 4, 2015. From October through December, a total of 59.2 percent of positive flu specimens reviewed by clinical laboratories throughout the U.S. and Puerto Rico tested as influenza A. The remaining 40.8 percent of specimens tested as influenza B.

The numbers reported by public health laboratories skewed even higher. The public health laboratories found that 78.8 percent of positive specimens were influenza A (31.6 percent H1N1, 62.7 percent H3 and 5.7 percent were not subtyped). On the other hand, only 21.2 percent of positive specimens tested by public health laboratories were influenza B (31.6 percent Yamagata lineage, 12.3 percent Victoria lineage and 56.1 percent were not tested for lineage).

Read the full article for more on where the flu is most prevalent.

About Aureus Medical Group:

Aureus Medical Group is a national leader in healthcare staffing specializing in the successful placement of Nursing, Advanced Practice, Cardiopulmonary, Diagnostic Imaging, Medical Laboratory, Neurodiagnostics, Radiation Oncology, and Rehabilitation Therapy professionals, as well as Physicians, in hospitals and medical facilities nationwide.  With more than 30 years of experience, Aureus Medical offers a full range of staffing options, including national contract (travel), local contract, and direct hire.  Aureus Medical is the largest affiliate of Omaha-based C&A Industries, a leading provider of human capital management solutions for more than 45 years.