“The Irene Effect, One Year Later” will include news stories about the ongoing impact of the storm in dollars and cents as well as the continuing personal struggles of families and communities across the state.
Listeners will hear reports from Waterbury, Rochester, Stockbridge, Stratton, and more on efforts to rebuild after the storm and profiles of individuals who rose to the challenge to help. In addition, VPR will air commentaries that reflect on issues such as flood protection, community spirit and resilience, damage to state parks, and more. Vermont Edition also will tackle various aspects of the story.
Here is a sampling of the week-long coverage:
- Steve Zind takes a look at the cost of the story, tallying up the total financial costs of the storm.
- No group of individuals was more affected by the flood than mobile home owners, John Dillon tells their story.
- Mitch Wertlieb has visited regularly with Jon Graham and Beth Frock of Rochester since the storm washed away their home. He returns to learn what’s changed.
- Their roads and homes were washed away but the people of Pittsford rallied and took care of each other in the immediate aftermath, building an old-fashioned sense of community. Nina Keck looks at the long-term community impact of the storm.
- Neal Charnoff examines how the artistic community was hit by the storm.
- And Susan Keese and Charlotte Albright profile individuals and organizations that stepped up when they were needed.
VPR has been recognized for its coverage of Tropical Storm Irene. In April, VPR received seven regional Edward R. Murrow Awards from the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA), three of which were specifically for Irene-related coverage. In July, Public Radio Directors, Inc., honored VPR for its continuing coverage of the storm. Vermont Edition was also recognized with a first-place award for news/public affairs programming, and VPR’s digital staff won a first-place for best multimedia presentation for Irene-related coverage.
The special anniversary coverage as well as a full archive of all VPR’s Tropical Storm Irene coverage can be found online at http://www.vpr.net/news/irene/.